3rd December 2013
I acknowledge Yuen Chan for translating Liu Xia’s requests from Chinese into English.
I am Zeng Jinyan, I arrived in Hong Kong from Beijing in the early hours of this morning. I am relaying the following requests from Liu Xia in an individual capacity:
1. I request the right to consult a doctor freely.
I propose that an internationally renowned psychologist from Medecins San Frontieres meet one-on-one with Liu Xia to conduct a consultation. Liu Xia was diagnosed with coronary disease in the 1990s. The imprisonment of first her husband and then her brother, as well as constant house arrest has led to a rapid deterioration in her mental state. She has persistently refused to seek medical treatment under the watch of the police, as she fears the authorities will use her this as an excuse to throw her into a psychiatric hospital.
2. I request that Liu Xiaobo and I are allowed our rights to read correspondence we write to each other.
Although Liu Xiaobo and Liu Xia write to each other, it has been extremely hard for them to read the letters from one another.
3. I request the right to work and receive an income.
Liu Xia has been financially dependent on her brother Liu Hui. Liu Hui’s imprisonment has not just cut off a source of income, the legal costs have also deprived the family of a large amount of funds and brought economic hardship. This has added to the family pressure on Liu Xia, she hopes to earn an income to support the family and especially to meet the costs of Liu Hui’s son’s schooling.
1. 要求自由看医生的权利 – 我的建议：国际专业组织如无国界医生派遣国际知名心理学专家与刘霞单独会面，为其就诊。背景信息：90年代刘霞已经确诊有冠心病史，因丈夫及弟弟入狱再加上常年被孤立软禁，精神状况急剧恶化。因担忧就诊时被官方的医生籍此直接送入精神病医院，一直拒绝在警察陪同下就医。
2. 要求与刘晓波相互阅读对方的信件的权利 – 背景信息：刘霞与刘晓波相互写信却一直难以阅读到对方所写的信件。
3. 要求工作及获得经济收入的权利 – 背景信息：刘霞一直依靠刘晖的经济支持生活。刘晖入狱不仅切断了此经济源还因官司损失大量金钱，造成家人生活困境。此事加重刘霞背负的家庭压力，她希望能获得经济收入以支持家庭尤其是刘晖儿子就学的开销。
访刘霞VISITING A WOMAN UNDER HOUSE ARREST
Isolation Under House Arrest for Wife of Imprisoned Nobel Laureate
By AUSTIN RAMZY November 29, 2013, 6:09 am
王霜舟 2013年12月02日 http://cn.nytimes.com/china/20131202/c02liu/
Liu Xiaobo’s wife possibly suffering from depression under house arrest